Fourth of July Party
On July 4, 1776, America, the beautiful became an independent nation. The typical celebration includes red, white and blue everything, classic American food and drink, and fireworks!
Stop by Publix and pick up everything you need to host the perfect 4th Party! Thanks to the Big Green Egg, for a couple of great recipes to help keep the party fired-up with some tasty treats that will make your cookout the envy of the neighborhood.
Smoked Brisket Roll
Recipe courtesy of Jason Lilley
- 1 brisket flat, fat cap on, about 6 lbs (2.7 kg)
- 1 cup brisket rub
- ½ bag Jack Daniels wood chips, soaked overnight in water
- Bardough House Slaw
- 10 country loaf rolls
- Salted farm butter for the rolls
Coat the brisket on all sides with an even layer of rub. Let the meat to rest for 1 hour at room temperature or until the rub starts to turn pasty.
Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 225°F/107°C.
Place the brisket, fat side up, on the grill. After 8 hours check meat periodically. Poke the meat in a few places; the fat should separate under your finger. When the brisket reaches an internal temperature of 200°F/93°C, remove it from the EGG onto a rimmed baking sheet to rest for 30 minutes.
Cut the brisket in thin slices against the grain. Cut the rolls in half and butter on both sides. Add sliced brisket and slaw and enjoy!
Brisket Rub Ingredients
- 1½ cups (360 ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) ground espresso beans
- ¼ cup (60 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) cayenne pepper
For Bread and Slaw directions—> SEE MORE
Beverages to get the party going!
In the meantime, a refreshing Moscow Mule made with Barritt’s Ginger Beer will keep you and your guests happy. If you’re feeling creative, a classic American cocktail can always get the patriotic party started. Try this Bourbon Sweet Tea Lemonade recipe that brings out a kick with sweet southern charm.
Bourbon Sweet Tea Lemonade
3/4 cup sweetened tea
3 tablespoons Sweet Tea Lemonade Bourbon from Savannah Bourbon Co.
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Garnish: Lemon wedge
Vigorously until thoroughly chilled. Strain 10oz into a mason jar filled with ice. Top with club soda. Garnish, if desired.
Let PUBLIX help with your 4th of July!
When it comes to red, white, and blue foods, there are a wide variety of options. You can opt for foods that come in those tones directly from nature, like blueberries and raspberries, or you can dye your own with food coloring! Check out the ideas below for some inspiration.
- Layer red, white, and blue gelatin to make a festive dessert.
- Make a fruit salad with strawberries, watermelon, and blueberries and add some marshmallows as the final touch.
- Roll Publix ice cream sandwiches in red, white, and blue sprinkles.
- Mix in some red and blue candy with popcorn for a salty and sweet snack.
- Dye the filling of your deviled eggs red or blue with a few drops of food coloring.
- Dip ice cream cones into melted white chocolate and add red, white, and blue sprinkles to the border before it dries.
- Check out other ideas on publix.com by browsing for red, white, or blue ingredients—such as watermelon, berries, bleu cheese, desserts.
And if you’re looking for some places to celebrate and things to do this weekend in Savannah, check out: http://www.dosavannah.com/